The traditional Christmas Market in Piazza Santa Croce, the Festival of Lights, the panoramic wheel, the longest ice skating rink in Europe, the magnificent Christmas trees in Piazza Duomo and Piazzale Michelangelo, and the acrobatic elves and witches. More squares will host concerts and events for New Year’s Eve
If walking through the streets of the historic center has something extraordinary all year round, do it during the Christmas period – when all the lights are turned on for the holidays – has really something magical.
The huge Christmas tree in Piazza Duomo, the lights that illuminate the bridges and monuments, the markets, the hot chocolate… a moment of joy for adults and children.
What to do for Christmas in Florence. For those traveling on their own, with friends, family or for those who want to travel to Florence with family.
The Festival of Lights by Green Line is back again this year
From 7 December to 7 January, the monuments of Florence will be illuminated with green-themed installations. This year the focus will be on the green themes of energy saving, sustainability and climate change. Every day from 5.30 p.m. to 12.00 p.m. the light shows will be visible on the most famous monuments in Florence and will accompany us throughout the Christmas period.
- The traditional Christmas market in the Santa Croce square returns from 18 November to 17 December. From 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. it will be possible to stroll among the little wooden houses in search of handmade products and delicacies, local and otherwise. How can you resist an excellent vin brulé wine , Christmas carols, wonderful Christmas decorations with one of the most beautiful churches of Florence on the background: Santa Croce.
- On 2 and 3 December, for the first time in Florence, the Sala dei Marmi of the Parterre will host the Nordic Christmas market (here is the link with all the details) where you can admire and purchase handmade products, Christmas decorations and sweets typical of the Scandinavian tradition.
- Christmas market in Palazzo Corsini from 15 to 17 December. NataleperFile, organised to raise funds in support of the FILE association, reaches its 20th edition in the wonderful location with free admission at Palazzo Corsini ( here is the link with all the details)
The Ferris wheel
The huge Ferris wheel is now a must-see destination if you want an extraordinary panoramic view of Florence from a completely new perspective.
No longer housed in the gardens of the Fortezza da Basso but in the Parco delle Cascine, the wheel stands tall over Florence and illuminates the city from 8 December.
Ever-present for the Christmas season are the beautiful decorations of the streets of Florence and the Christmas Trees that will adorn Piazza Duomo and Piazzale Michelangelo. The big switch-on is expected on 8 December
Squares for New Year's Eve
This year for New Year’s Eve the squares that will come to life will no longer be four, but six, each with a different musical programme.
They will make their debut:
- piazza San Giovanni with Gospel choirs
- piazza Santissima Annunziata with jazz music
Returning instead are :
- piazza Santa Croce with live orchestra and dance
- piazza del Carmine with pop music
- itinerant marching bands in Oltrarno
- Piazza della Signoria with dance and singing performances
Everything is ready to breathe in the Christmas atmosphere even all our Residences are decorated to make you spend a wonderful Christmas in Florence.